Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Home or Office?


I have heard the phrase, "invite Jesus into your heart" ever since I was a little girl. We automatically assume Jesus, through his Holy Spirit, would want to live in our hearts, but does he?
Have we created an open door he would want to come through?  Have we created a home atmosphere or an office?

Some characteristics of a home and office are:
    HOME....................OFFICE
Warmly greeted at the door.......... Time clock punched at the door
Comfortable furniture so guests stay.....One chair per desk to limit interaction
Reflects the personality of those living there .....Reflects the style and                          atmosphere of management
A home needs a family.....Office needs workers
Love makes a home.....Organization makes an office
Love driven.....Performance driven
Unconditional welcome.....Longevity depends upon performance

So what does the office analogy have to do with our hearts?  Glad you asked!  Do we treat our relationship with God in the atmosphere of home or office?  Do we feel we have to perform in order to win Gods payment of love and acceptance?  Is our relationship only when we are at church or doing a particular ministry (punching the proverbial 'religious' time clock) or is it a true 24/7 relationship?  Is it easier for us to have a task list we check off or do we truly enjoy and look forward to our quiet times (nurturing a relationship) with God?  Are we aware of his presence 24/7 with joy or drudgery?

Do we enjoy being with others that belong to his family or do we count the minutes until we can leave 'work' and return to 'our' lifestyle?  Do we have the same unconditional love of our Father in seeking and welcoming others into the family or do we just tolerate those around us and pray God sends someone else to talk with the lost we come in contact with daily? 

Jesus said, "Those who accept my commandments and obey them are the ones who love me. And because they love me, my Father will love them. And I will love them and reveal myself to each of them. All who love me will do what I say. My Father will love them, and we will come and make our home with each of them." (John 14:21, 23 NLT)


Our actions will show the choice of whether we have a home or office to welcome God to live in.
Which would you or I want to live in?




No comments:

Post a Comment