Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Putting the cart before the horse





"You will be changed into a different person. After these signs take place, do what must be done, for God is with you. Then go down to Gilgal ahead of me. I will join you there to sacrifice burnt offerings and peace offerings. You must wait for seven days until I arrive and give you further instructions.” 
Meanwhile, Saul stayed at Gilgal, and his men were trembling with fear.  Saul waited there seven days for Samuel, as Samuel had instructed him earlier, but Samuel still didn’t come. Saul realized that his troops were rapidly slipping away.  So he demanded, “Bring me the burnt offering and the peace offerings!” And Saul sacrificed the burnt offering himself.
 Just as Saul was finishing with the burnt offering, Samuel arrived. Saul went out to meet and welcome him,  but Samuel said, “What is this you have done?”
 “How foolish!” Samuel exclaimed. “You have not kept the command the Lord your God gave you. Had you kept it, the Lord would have established your kingdom over Israel forever.  But now your kingdom must end, for the Lord has sought out a man after his own heart. The Lord has already appointed him to be the leader of his people, because you have not kept the Lord’s command.” (1 Samuel 10b-8;13:7-14 NLT)

Through Samuel, God gave Saul just enough instruction and insight into a future vision of the role he was to play in Israel.  Would Saul be willing and ready to be King of a people chosen by God to show and live his character before other nations?  Would Saul be willing to follow God’s leading and timing even though he might not understand it? Saul put the “cart before the horse” and all hopes and dreams of what he could have been and accomplished was gone. 

I think of this account when I ask God to give me dreams of what he wants to be and do through me.  God, give me just enough that I can’t figure it out before your timing or before you have prepared me to follow and not manipulate to take the lead.  Give me reminders of the dream to keep me from becoming impatient or discouraged by keeping my heart open and focused on the Giver of dreams.

Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you your heart’s desires. Psalm 37:4

No comments:

Post a Comment