Thursday, January 12, 2012

I grew up with something that is almost unheard of today. For some in my family it was a great source of embarrassment but for me it was the norm, all I ever knew until I was in 7th grade. I grew up in a small town and although we were not the only ones with this, it still wasn’t in the typical home. While some might be familiar with this in camping situations, it would definitely not be characteristic for most 21st century Americans. What I am referring to is an outhouse. In the summer the trips to the outhouse would be quick because of the heat and in the winter they would even be quicker because of the cold. At night, my mother had a chamber bucket in our cellar of which she would make the trip every morning to empty in the outhouse.

Today I have 3 ½ baths in my home…guess you could say, “you’ve come a long way baby!”

I’ve recently been thinking of that old outhouse and have found some valuable lessons in it. Believe it or not we all have lived with the affects of an outhouse in our lives.

ONE OUTHOUSE RUNOFF AFFECTS OTHERS
We live in a domino world. Everything we do has an effect on someone else. Whether intentional or not we sometimes find ourselves living with the “stench” of others choices which has the potential of horrendous impact on our lives. Most times how much of an impact is determined by how much power we choose to give them.
The apostle Paul didn’t allow others actions to deter or determine his mission.
“Everything that has happened to me here has helped to spread the Good News…everyone here…knows I am in chains because of Christ. It is true that some are preaching out of jealousy and rivalry…intending to make my chains more painful to me. But that doesn’t matter…the message about Christ is being preached either way, so I rejoice.” Philippians 1
Paul chose to take the higher road and rejoice thereby diffusing the potential effect of others on his life and outlook.

CLEANING TIME

To keep the refuse at a manageable level, from time to time a company would come to empty the outhouse.
Paul knew the heart has to be cleansed of the refuse we allow to filter in: pride, self-righteousness, position and prestige, money, complacency, etc.
“I once thought these things were valuable, but now I consider them worthless because of what Christ has done…I have discarded everything else counting it all as garbage*, so that I could gain Christ and become like him.” Philippians 3:7-11
Jesus said, “But the words you speak come from the heart—that’s what defiles you. For from the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, all sexual immorality, theft, lying, and slander.” Matthew 15:17-19
*Greek: sku/balon which means refuse, the excrement (dung) of animals = crap

HOUSE MOVING TIME
When the outhouse was moved what was left behind became a wonderful source of fertilizer. When it seems like there is no way out remember this, we won’t always have to live with the effects someone else’s refuse. “If you think you are standing strong, be careful, for you, too, may fall into the same sin. But remember that the temptations that come into your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will keep the temptation from becoming so strong that you can't stand up against it.” 1 Corinthians 10:12-13
Rather than complaining about the outhouse being moved and the emptiness left behind, my father planted a garden. Not just any garden but with all that fertilizer his was always the best garden on the block! Rather than complaining about the residual of the domino affects in our lives use them as fertilizer to produce a bountiful harvest. Jesus never promised a “no-fertilized” life, but he did promise if we remain in him we would produce fruit—no matter what was put into our soil. (John 15)

No comments:

Post a Comment