Thursday, March 12, 2009

Brain Freeze

BRAIN FREEZE..it doesn’t just happen with ice cream!! Have you ever been in a situation where your eyes meet those of another person and your mind goes into overload trying to dust off those webbed covered areas with questions like, “I know the face, but can’t place a name with it”; “Oh please God, give me his/her name so I don’t look like an idiot?” Well, I found myself in such a situation. It was a recent Sunday at the end of church when I met up with my husband who was talking with a man and his wife in the lobby. But this time, it was the one my husband was talking with that had the brain-freeze and not me (so nice to be on the other side for a change!). When his eyes met mine he said, “You look familiar” and I suddenly realized this was Bob, a plumber that worked on our home last year. Feeling quite pleased with myself that I knew his name, I blurted out, “Hey, I know you! You are Bob the plumber.” After a few exchanges, I introduced him to our daughter who was standing with me, “this is Bob, the plumber.” She, picking up with her quick wit, replied, “and I’m Jess the lawyer.” A few minutes later, as we walked away, we chuckled at the odd introductions. But I started thinking, how often we view others not by who they are but by what they do. We can even go so far as to place a value on someone based solely on what they do.
Good news, there is One who values us by who we are not what we do!
“The Lord answers, "Can a woman forget the baby she nurses? Can she feel no kindness for the child to which she gave birth? Even if she could forget her children, I will not forget you. See, I have written your name on my hand.” (Isaiah 49:15-16)
“Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart.” (Jeremiah 1:5)
God loved us and knew us before we were even born! Before we had any opportunities to establish our name, or establish our identities by our jobs or deeds, GOD LOVED US!! Let that sink in to your soul today. He sees into the very depths of my heart and knows my heartaches, my failures and mistakes, my hopes and yet unfilled dream and He doesn’t hide or run away.
I don’t have to prove anything or pretend I’m something or someone I’m not to God. He loves me for WHO I AM!

“…… I have summoned you by name, you are mine.” (Isaiah 43:1b) He will NEVER forget me.
Just as He called to Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden (Genesis 1-2), He calls to you and me today. Just as He walked with Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden, He walks with you and me today. Just as He longed for Adam and Eve, He longs for you and me today. How comforting to realize that the God of things seen and those unseen, the God of the universe known and unknown knows your name and mine and still pursues us today.

Realize dear friend that you are not alone today. When others may have turned and run away from you, God will remain. My name may never have been tattooed on anyone’s arm, but it is engraved on the very hand of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment