Friday, June 7, 2019

Persistent hearts

I have always loved the story of Elijah and Elisha.
God had performed miraculous works through Elijah. One would think he would be on a “spiritual high”. However, Elijah succumbs to a time of human weakness and “woe is me” that are all brought about by the threats from an evil woman named Jezebel. In the midst of voicing his self-pity to God, God gives him instructions of what he is to do next. Then almost as an afterthought God reminds Elijah he is not the only one left in Israel that has not bowed his knee to Baal, “7000 in Israel who have never bowed down or kissed Baal!” This chapter ends with Elijah calling Elisha to be his assistant (1 Kings 19).

(2 Kings 2) When the Lord was about to take Elijah up to heaven in a whirlwind (that in itself would have been an amazing sight to behold!!), three times Elijah told Elisha to wait while he went into three different towns. Each time Elisha replied that he would never leave Elijah’s side. At each of those towns a group of prophets met Elisha to ask him if he knew God was going to take Elijah from him that day. Elisha’s response was the same each time, “of course I know.” Elisha’s persistence is being tested.

Finally, Elijah asks Elisha what he can do for him before he is taken away.  Elisha’s response is very similar to Solomon’s response when God asked him, “What do you want. Ask, and I will give it to you.”
Elisha: “Please let me inherit a double share of your spirit and become your successor.”
Solomon: “Give me an understanding heart so I can govern your people well and know the difference between right and wrong.”

The similarities show hearts that are not self seeking but rather servant shaped and pliable. Both Solomon and Elisha were displays of God infused wisdom, power, and might because of their responses to a very powerful question.

I pray that if I’m faced with the choice Solomon and Elisha had that my heart would be bent for the blessings and good of others and not self motivation or proclamation. 
I pray I would be as persistent as Elisha in following Elijah, no matter how many places God tests my faith, to not give up and “stay put” but press forward knowing God’s promises are true and faithful.

No comments:

Post a Comment