Thursday, October 24, 2013

Shoes of Peace

For shoes, put on the peace that comes from the Good News so that you will be fully prepared. (Ephesians 6:15 NLT)

I've often wondered exactly what Paul meant about putting on peace as shoes. What does that look like?  In the Roman world in which Paul lived shoes were made of soft pliable leather. Sandals were made of stiffer material such as wood or cane for rougher wear on long journeys. 

Shoes are used as a protection for our feet as we move around. The purpose of our feet is to give support and balance; transport us; help us move; assist in standing; absorb shock when we jump; and to hold up to one-half our body weight (not sure what happens to the other half!?)

As believers we are to put on the whole armour of God everyday in order to resist the enemy (6:13), still be standing firm after the battle (6:13), and to be fully prepared (6:15). 

So what does all this have to do with "putting on peace as shoes"?  Just as our feet were designed to be the shock absorbers for our bodies, the Peace from the Good News was meant to be the shock absorber in our lives.   

We think peace comes after the battle when in reality we must have peace to enter the battle and that can only come from already being absorbed in the Good News before the battles come. 
Then the peace that comes from the Prince of Peace, Jesus, will be our balance, our upholder, and our shock absorber. 

May my life and my days would be absorbed by his peace and not contention. As Paul's shoes were soft and pliable may I be pliable in Gods hands-not stiff fighting your purposes for my life.  Help me today Lord to rest in you so I will be an instrument of your peace wherever my feet may take me.  Only then will I be fully prepared to live in this world. 



No comments:

Post a Comment