Monday, September 2, 2013

Traditions or truth?



You know what I was like when I followed the Jewish religion—how I violently persecuted God’s church. I did my best to destroy it. I was far ahead of my fellow Jews in my zeal for the traditions of my ancestors. (Galatians 1:13, 14 NLT)


Do we teach the gospel of Jesus Christ or the traditions of our faith?  Do we accept what others teach as gospel or do we compare it to scripture? When was the last time you or I questioned a teaching to make sure it aligned with scripture? We would do well to follow the examples of the Bereans, "Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true." (Acts 17:11 NIVUK)


Traditions will never truly fill the longing in our hearts, give hope when all else fails us or have the power to bring healing and forgiveness.  Traditions can muddy the waters of truth with half truths and keep its followers bound through guilt. The truth of Gods Word acts like a surgeons knife cutting out falsehoods and half truths to allow truth to take root and the the seeds of hope to grow. "God’s word is living and active. It is sharper than any two-edged sword and cuts as deep as the place where soul and spirit meet, the place where joints and marrow meet. God’s word judges a person’s thoughts and intentions." (Hebrews 4:12 NLT)


Because the Bereans measured Paul's words against the standard of scripture change took place in their hearts and lives.
"As a result, many of them believed, as did also a number of prominent Greek women and many Greek men." (Acts 17:12 NIVUK)


Paul's life is proof of the power of Truth versus traditions. He was so steeped in the traditions of his forefathers he was willing to kill to protect those traditions. I wonder how many we have been willing to 'kill' in their search for God because we were willing to put church or denominational traditions ahead of Truth.


I'm not saying church, denominations or all traditions are bad but if they are in direct conflict with scripture are we willing to forsake them for the truth?

No comments:

Post a Comment