Thursday, April 4, 2013

Faith Grows from Obedience


We have an elderly family member that even though I know they are grateful in their hearts for what is done for them, they haven’t always verbally expressed their thanks.  To the point where sometimes it seems they just bark orders all the while we are waiting for the “thank you” or “please”.  When I mentioned this observation to them, their response was one of surprise, “I always say thank you and please” and in their minds they may think this is so.

I was thinking about this while reading Luke 17:10 this morning.  The disciples were asking Jesus to show them how to increase their faith.  Jesus gave them the illustration of the mustard seed and then adds,
When a servant comes in from plowing or taking care of sheep, does his master say, ‘Come in and eat with me’? No, he says, ‘Prepare my meal, put on your apron, and serve me while I eat. Then you can eat later.’ And does the master thank the servant for doing what he was told to do? Of course not. In the same way, when you obey me you should say, ‘We are unworthy servants who have simply done our duty.’”

Am I the only one or have you ever thought this was an odd illustration of how to increase ones faith?  What does a master not thanking his servant for doing what he should be doing have to do with increasing faith?

Simply this, why do we crave recognition for doing what God expects us to do as part of his family?  And is it God’s recognition or man’s we want?  Are we doing God a favor by simply carrying out what his desires are?

Self honor, appreciation or thanks are not to be the driving force behind obedience to God.  Love is.  Jesus said, “If you love me, obey my commandments.  And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate, who will never leave you.  He is the Holy Spirit, who leads into all truth. Those who accept my commandments and obey them are the ones who love me.  And because they love me, my Father will love them.  And I will love them and reveal myself to each of them.  All who love me will do what I say.  My Father will love them and we will come and make our home with each of them.  I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart.” (John 14:15-27)

Truth is the foundation trust is built upon. Obedience-love is the result of trusting even though we don’t understand.  Faith grows from obedience, a resignation not in our own way.  These do not require 'thank you', 'please' or appreciation.  We are merely doing what is required of us with the greater reward being faith.

As with a circle these three are a constant flow into each other.

There is no shortcut to faith.  Want faith?  It starts and continues with obedience.


No comments:

Post a Comment