Monday, December 26, 2011

“Show-Me”

There are a number of stories and legends behind Missouri's sobriquet "Show-Me" state. The slogan is not official, but is common throughout the state and is used on Missouri license plates.The most widely known legend attributes the phrase to Missouri's U.S. Congressman Willard Duncan Vandiver, who served in the United States House of Representatives from 1897 to 1903. While a member of the U.S. House Committee on Naval Affairs, Vandiver attended an 1899 naval banquet in Philadelphia. In a speech there, he declared, "I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Regardless of whether Vandiver coined the phrase, it is certain that his speech helped to popularize the saying.[1]

I thought of this Show-Me slogan while reading Luke 3 this morning. When the crowds came to hear John he told them the same thing (well, kinda!). John’s message was “repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand”. When the people asked what they should do he didn’t go into a 3 point sermon or give them a tract (I write this tongue-in-check). John’s message and Jesus’ was the same “Prove by the way you live that you have repented of your sins and turned to God.” John said, “If you have two shirts, give one to the poor. If you have food, share it with those who are hungry.”

Jesus said, “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the creation of the world. For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.’

“Then these righteous ones will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing? When did we ever see you sick or in prison and visit you?’

“And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!...‘I tell you the truth, when you refused to help the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were refusing to help me.’ (Mt 25:34-46)

Both John and Jesus were saying, Show-me! Have you and I, as the body of Christ, gone to the poor, hungry, desperate, the prisons, brothels, slums, streets…where people live and brought God to them by giving “food, drink, clothing or taken them into our homes? Or have we been content to pay someone else to do what we have been mandated to do? I’m not against giving to charitable organizations. These organizations can sometimes reach more people than one individual ever could. I also understand some have physical or age limitations where it’s not as easy for them to “go”. But if we ‘pay’ so we don’t have to ‘go’ then are we truly “living our repentance”? Our motives become the window of our hearts revealing the proof of our repentance.

When Jesus looks inside our window, what will he see and will he be pleased? Show-me…..


[1]Resources:
Rossiter, Phyllis.
"I'm from Missouri--you'll have to show me." Rural Missouri, Volume 42, Number 3, March 1989, page 16.Official Manual of the State of Missouri, 1979-1980, page 1486.

No comments:

Post a Comment