Monday, March 29, 2010

Why do you ask my name? It is beyond understanding

Usually the first thing I say and ask when meeting someone is, “Hello, my name is Kay and you are?” A name is the doorway into discovering and connecting with another person. In biblical times names were descriptive of anything from the circumstances in which the child was conceived or born to the times they were living in. For example, when Jacob’s wife Leah gave birth to her children they were given names describing how God heard and knew Jacob’s relationship with her.
How would you like to go through life with names that meant: “he has seen my misery (Reuben)” or “my struggle (Naphtali)?”
Don’t know about you but that sounds like the makings of a country song, “Here comes Misery and Struggle” complete with banjo and harmonica background...sorry, I digress!!

So what is in a name? When God called Moses to lead his children out of Egypt, Moses asked God, “When the Israelites ask me ‘What is his name?’ what shall I tell them?” God answered, “I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I AM has sent me to you.’” (Genesis 3:13-14) God’s name was and still is indicative of action…past, present and future. God was giving them the promise of faithfully loving and caring for them, of always being with them not far away and it was all in His Name. He continued by saying, “this is my name FOREVER, the name by which I am to be remembered from generation to generation.” (Genesis 13:15)
It was not by chance Isaiah foretold Jesus birth and that he would be called ‘Immanuel’—which means ‘God with us.’ (Isaiah 7:14) This was also reaffirmed to Joseph in a dream prior to taking Mary as his wife (Matthew 1:19-15). God was once again reminding his people, ‘I AM is still with you…I haven’t left you.’

Upon given the promise of a son (Samson), Manoah asked the angel of the Lord, “What is your name, so that we may honor you when your word comes true?” The angel replied, “Why do you ask my name? It is beyond understanding.” (Judges 13:17-18)
This verse intrigued me and I started thinking if we cannot understand the meaning of a name, particularly the names of Jesus and God, how then can we understand the why’s and how’s of the actions of the One bearing that name? Yet we are forever analyzing God’s actions so we can somehow justify those actions when they don’t meet our expectations.

Isaiah reminds us, “Who has understood the mind of the LORD, or instructed him as his counselor? Whom did the LORD consult to enlighten him, and who taught him the right way? Who was it that taught him knowledge or showed him the path of understanding?” (Isaiah 40:13-14)
God goes beyond our comprehension to do the impossible in our lives and when He does this our only response should be like that of Job (Job 1:20), Manoah and his wife (Judges 13:20), Mary (Luke 1:38) and numerous others—falling before the Lord in worship and submission.
If we wait until we understand, we will miss out in the most amazing part of bearing His Name (Christians)--the anticipation of the power of God working in and through us. “And these signs will accompany those who believe: in my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well…and the Lord worked with them and confirmed his word by the signs that accompanied it.” (Mark 16:17-20)


Where do you find yourself today? Are you still trying to understand before you submit to God or have you “fallen before the Lord in worship and submission” giving God the freedom to use you to display His Name...whether you understand or not?

1 comment:

  1. Good words, Kay! The longer I live, the more I realize how big He is and how small I am. His ways are so much higher than our ways, His thoughts than our thoughts. Parenting has really opened my eyes to the Heavenly Father/child of God relationship, too. How frustrated we get with the immature behavior of toddlers, yet we do not love them less. If we, as earthly parents, can love imperfectly yet fully, how much more amazing is God's mercy and grace! We, like spiritual toddlers, often don't know (and may never this side of the veil) the why or how of God's plan, yet He is glorified when we simply rest and trust in Him and His omniscience. He sees all, knows all, and loves infinitely and perfectly. As I grow in Him, I want to grow in maturity and yet become ever more childlike in trust - like the completely dependent infant, knowing that He is my Source, my Shield, my Defender, my Strong Tower, my Ever-present Help in time of need.

    Aleta Leatherman

    ReplyDelete