Tuesday, July 14, 2009

But I tell you!

“I don’t care if everyone else is doing it…you are not!” “It doesn’t matter what Susie says, that is not how we __________!” Oh the NUMEROUS times I heard this growing up, vowing never to say it to my children! How quickly the 'nevers' are forgotten when we then sit in the parent seat!!


While reading Matthew 5 this morning, I was struck with what Jesus said not once but multiple times, “You have heard it said____________, but I tell you______.” Words…actions…traditions are powerful tools in shaping our thought patterns, values and even what we believe as truth. Life or death is given to those around us with our choice of words or phrasing when we speak. We “hear” a teaching or possibly hold the bearer of those teachings in high esteem and automatically believe what they say is truth.
Those who heard Jesus speak were amazed at his teachings because “he taught as one who had authority, and not as their teachers of the law” (Mt 7:28-29; Mk 1:22; Luke 4:32). This proclamation has always amazed me. One would think being teachers of the law they would be authoritative in their teachings. After all, this was God’s law they were teaching…or was it?

Traditions and hundreds of man-made laws, added to what God originally gave Moses on Mt. Sinai, had so bound and burdened the Israelites that when Jesus spoke it must have seemed like a refreshing cool shower sweeping over their hearts. While life was never intended to be experienced in the law neither was the additional burden inflicted by the religious leaders. The law was given as a moral and spiritual guide until the One, Jesus Christ, would come who was to fulfill the requirements of the law for them and us. (Romans 3; Matthew 5:17).
Was it not Jesus who said (with God’s authority), “I have come that you might have life and have it to the full” (John 10:10), and “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke (my teachings) upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke (my teaching) is easy and my burden is light." (Mt 11:28-30 italics added)

God’s truth (His Word) must be the foundation of any directives or instructions we give to others and receive from others…no deviations. If not Jesus words still hold true for us today, “I don’t care what others are saying or doing, BUT I TELL YOU!”

No comments:

Post a Comment